Barrister & Solicitor of New Zealand High Court (2016). LLB/BA Victoria University of Wellington ATCL Trinity College London
New Zealand Law Society Resource Management Law Association Society of Construction Law
Jacob joined the team at Hazelton Law in 2016 after graduating from Victoria University of Wellington. He has experience in the areas of construction law and resource management law. Jacob has appeared as junior counsel in a number of Environment Court matters and is currently engaged in a number of district and high court construction disputes. He advises on contracts and negligence claims, resource consent applications and renewals, plan changes, and other regulatory matters under the Resource Management Act, Building Act, and other local government legislation.
Jacob is also on the Wellington branch of the Young Resource Management Law Association committee.
Previous work examples include:
- Acting for a contractor in relation to a prosecution for carrying out building work without consent (2018).
- Acting for a builder in defending disciplinary proceedings before the Licensed Building Practitioners' board (2018).
- Acting for both contractors and suppliers in negligence and breach of contract claims.
- Advising building owners on disputes relating to variations and workmanship issues.
- Advising Councils and private landowners on earthquake prone buildings, dangerous buildings and other regulatory matters under the Building Act 2004.
- Numerous other claims relating to construction involving a diverse range of design and construction issues.
- Contract drafting and review for contractors, subcontractors and homeowners.
- Acting for contractors in adjudications under the Construction Contracts Act.
- Training seminars for building contractors on issues relating to building contracts and matters arising under the Building Act and Construction Contracts Act.
Resource Management/Local Government
- Acting for commercial clients on Environment Court appeals for water allocation consents (2019).
- Advising District Councils in relation to the review and adoption of bylaws (2019).
- Acting for special interest groups in land use consent appeals to the Environment Court (2018).
- Acting for a commercial client appealing the conditions imposed on a land use consent to the Environment Court (2018).
- Acting for applicants in relation to applications for subdivision and land use consents in Wellington City (2018).
- Waterfront Watch Incorporated v Wellington City Council  NZEnvC 39
- The Architectural Centre v Wellington City Council  NZEnvC 116
- Acting for commercial clients in successfully defending abatement notices issued by Greater Wellington Regional Council relating to air discharges (2017).
- Advice to Incorporated Societies on Environment Court appeal and declaratory proceedings relating to proposals of significance, including heritage issues and matters of District Plan interpretation.
- Advising District Councils on prosecutions for various regulatory offences.
- Advising District Councils in relation to matters under the Local Government Act, Reserves Act, Dog Control Act, and Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act.
RECENT PAPERS & SEMINARS
- Contracts seminar for Registered Master Builders Association 2018.