PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
Barrister & Solicitor New Zealand 2014.
(BE) Bachelor of Engineering, University College Dublin 1998.
LLB (Hons) Griffith College Dublin 2009.
Society of Construction Law member 2014-18.
Prior to qualifying as a solicitor, Mark had a 14-year career as a civil engineer. His previous work experience includes acting as Engineer's Representative and Engineer to the Contract on large infrastructure projects, particularly water and waste water. Examples of projects Mark worked on are:
- Construction of waste-water and potable water treatment, with different project using traditional employer design contracts and design/build contracts.
- Construction of waste-water collection systems and potable water reticulation systems including water towers and reservoirs.
- Seismic up-grading and increased capacity works of the Te Marua storage lakes.
- Motorway construction.
- Working on all his projects, Mark was responsible for certifying interim and final accounts, assessing entitlements to variations and extensions of time, and valuing variations, time related costs and payments for cost fluctuations.
Working on all his projects, Mark was responsible for:
- certifying interim and final accounts;
- assessing entitlements to variations and extensions of time; and
- valuing variations, time related costs and payments for cost fluctuations.
Mark therefore has a very "hands on" appreciation of the pressures that all parties face on site. Mark's experience makes his legal analysis of contract documents particularly focused on the practicalities of running a site.
Mark is currently working in the areas of construction and insurance law. He has worked on several adjudications concerning claims for variations and extensions of time. Mark also works in in both drafting construction contracts and other dispute resolution matters.
Previous work examples include:
- Acting for claimants in adjudication proceedings arising from unforeseen ground conditions leading to variations and extensions of time (2018).
- Acting for claimants in adjudication proceedings to recover sums due in a residential construction contract (2018).
- Acting for a contractor on claims concerning unforeseen ground conditions and piling construction (2017-18).
- Counsel for the prosecutor in criminal proceedings under the Dog Control Act 1996 (2017).
- Acting for defendant in High Court proceedings for a leaky building claim (2017 - 2018).
- Acting for respondents in Weathertight Homes Tribunal proceedings (2015 - 2017).
- Acting for insurers in subrogated proceedings pertaining to defective air conditioning systems (2017 - 2018).
- Advising and acting for insurers in a professional indemnity matter pertaining to failed retaining walls (2016 - 2017).
- Acting for applicant creditor in bankruptcy proceedings (2017 - 2018).
- Revising Registered Master Builders Association standard form of Subcontract, SA-2017 (2016 - 2017).
- Revising Registered Master Builders Association standard forms of residential construction contracts, RBC1 (2017 - 2018).
- Appearing in the High Court in liquidation proceedings (2015).
- Representing plaintiffs in District Court proceedings against pre-purchase inspectors (2016).
- Advising clients on rights and obligations under standard form contracts such as NZS 3910:2013 and NZIA SCC 2014 (2015 - 2018).
- Acting for plaintiffs in summary judgment proceedings in the District Court for Construction Contracts Act 2002 matters (2015 - 2018).
RECENT PAPERS & SEMINARS
- Quantum dissected? - for the Society of Construction Law Conference September 2017
- Common Issues in Residential Construction Contracts - Registered Master Builders Annual Conference 2017
- Contract Law Training for Registered Master Builders members - (2017 and 2018)
- Implied Warranties in the Building Act 2002 - RANZ Annual Conference 2015