Barrister & Solicitor of New Zealand High Court (2007).
LLB/BA Victoria University
New Zealand Law Society
Resource Management Law Association
Society of Construction Law
Wellington Women Lawyers Association
Rachel has over 11 years' experience in the areas of resource management and construction law. She has appeared at substantive hearings in the District Court and Environment Court, before a Board of Inquiry and at Council hearings on resource consent applications and renewals, plan changes, prosecutions under the Resource Management Act and the Dog Control Act, and in relation to property issues, and declaratory proceedings.
Previous work examples include:
Resource Management/Local Government
- Advising a District Council in relation to the drafting and implementation of a Development Contributions Policy (2016-2018).
- Acting for applicants in relation to applications for subdivision and land use consents in Wellington City (2018).
- Acting for commercial clients in successfully defending abatement notices issued by Greater Wellington Regional Council relating to air discharges (2017).
- Acting for consent holder in relation to application for air discharge consent renewal (2016).
- Advice to Incorporated Societies on Environment Court appeal and declaratory proceedings relating to proposals of significance, including heritage issues and matters of District Plan interpretation.
- Acting for District Council in successful prosecution involving breach of resource consent terms (2016).
- Advising District Councils in relation to interpretation and application of the National Environmental Standard for Assessing and Managing Contaminants in Soil to Protect Human Health (2017).
- Acting for a District Council in relation to a successful prosecution under the Dog Control Act 1996.
- Advising District Councils in relation to development and implementation of Local Alcohol Policies and alcohol licensing matters under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.
- NZTA Proposed Basin Reserve Flyover Project - Board of Inquiry Hearing (Junior Counsel), 2013 - 2014: The Architectural Centre (upheld on appeal to High Court - New Zealand Transport Agency v Architectural Centre Incorporated Limited & Ors (CIV-2014-485-11253)
- Private Plan Change 82 - Kapiti Coast District Plan: Zoning, 2012 - 2013: Bunnings Limited
- Variation 6, Waikato Regional Plan: appeals, freshwater allocation, 2011 - 2012: Horticulture New Zealand
- Wellington Regional Policy Statement: appeals, 2011 - 2012: Masterton District Council
- Plan Changes 17, 18 - Auckland District Plan: Appeals relating to Urban/Commercial Development, 2012: Consensus Nominees Limited
- Riddiford v Masterton District Council  NZEnvC 262: appeal against Proposed Combined Wairarapa District Plan, 2010: Masterton, Carterton & South Wairarapa DCs
- Wairarapa Combined District Plan: Legal advice and representation in respect of 21 appeals against the Proposed Plan, 2008 to 2010: Masterton, Carterton and South Wairarapa District Councils.
- Acting for a contractor in relation to a prosecution for carrying out building work without consent (2018).
- Acting for a builder in defending a complaint made under the Licensed Building Practitioners' Scheme (2018).
- Acting for plaintiffs in defective foundations claim (2018).
- Advising homeowners on disputes relating to variations and workmanship issues.
- Advice to District Councils and private landowners on Earthquake Prone Building matters under the Building Act 2004.
- Advising parties in relation to "leaky home" proceedings in both the Weathertight Homes Tribunal and the High Court.
- Numerous other claims relating to construction involving a diverse range of design and construction issues.
- Contract drafting and review for contractors, subcontractors and homeowners.
- Training seminars, webinars and roadshows for building contractors throughout the country on issues relating to construction contracts and matters arising under the Building Act and Construction Contracts Act.
RECENT PAPERS & SEMINARS
- Contracts Webinar for Registered Master Builders Association online portal 2016-2018.
- Residential Building Contract RBC 1 - Seminar Roadshow for Registered Master Builders Association - 2018.
- "Product Warranties - clearing up their ‘aura and mystique'" - for Building Today June 2018.
- "Managing the Consenting Process Effectively: Amendments to the RMA Consent Process under the Resource Legislation Amendment Bill 2015" - Conferenz, 16 June 2016
- Update on Construction Contracts Act - NZSTCF - February 2016